Dr. Marie Berry is an Assistant Professor at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver, where she is an affiliate of the Sié Chéou-Kang Center for International Security and Diplomacy. She is the Director of the Inclusive Global Leadership Initiative (IGLI), an effort to catalyze research, education, and programming aimed at elevating and amplifying the work that women activists are doing at the grassroots to advance peace and security across the world. Her first book, War, Women, and Power: From Violence to Mobilization in Rwanda and Bosnia-Herzegovina (Cambridge University Press 2018), examines the impact of war and genocide on women’s political mobilization in Rwanda and Bosnia. Her second book project explores women’s participation in mass movements for social change across the world. She is also involved in several collaborative research projects, including on the limitations of empowerment programming after armed conflict; the political logic behind developmental states in Sub-Saharan Africa; and, with the Rift Valley Institute, on women’s political participation Kenya. Her work has been published in places like Gender & Society, Democratization, Signs, New Political Economy, Mobilization, Politics & Gender, Foreign Policy, The Society Pages, and Political Violence @ A Glance. She completed her Ph.D. in sociology at UCLA in 2015.
Posts by Marie Berry
- Abortion Restrictions as State Violence, June 4, 2019.
- #16Days: Eliminating Violence Against Women, November 29, 2018.
- Between Authoritarian and Democracy, July 31, 2018 (with Alexander Beresford and Laura Mann).
- Rethinking Women’s Power During and After War, April 24, 2018.
- Women and Power After War, June 6, 2017 (with Milli Lake).
- After Aleppo, Don’t Forget These Conflicts in 2017, January 3, 2017 (with Hollie Nyseth Brehm).
- Violence Against Women in Politics, November 8, 2016.
- Bending (False) Binaries: A Sociological Plea for Deconstruction, June 14, 2016.
- The “Politics of Naming” and the Genocide Debate, April 5, 2016.
- The Migration-Gender-Insecurity Nexus, January 19, 2016.
- A Woman Did That? Thoughts on Women Perpetrators of Violence, Trishna Rana and Marie Berry, December 17, 2015.