Deborah Avant is the Sié Chéou-Kang Chair for International Security and Diplomacy and Director of the Sié Center at the University of Denver. She is also the inaugural Editor-in-Chief of the ISA’s newly launched Journal of Global Security Studies. Prior to joining the Josef Korbel School of International Studies, she held positions at the University of California, Irvine and George Washington University. She is author of Political Institutions and Military Change: Lessons from Peripheral Wars, The Market for Force: The Consequences of Privatizing Security, and Who Governs the Globe?, along with many articles in scholarly and popular journals. For her work on private security and its governance she was awarded an honorary doctorate in 2013. You can find her on Twitter @DeborahAvant1.
Posts by Deborah Avant
- Military Dissent Could Curb Democratic Backsliding in the US, June 11, 2020.
- The Mueller Report and Global Contentious Politics, March 26, 2019.
- What We Can Learn from Looking at Private Security Across Time and Space, February 19, 2019 (with Kara Kingma Neu).
- Who Will Manage the Trade-offs Between Rights and Security on the Internet?, October 23, 2018.
- Cross Fertilization and Research on the “Welfare Non-State”, June 12, 2018.
- Is the Liberal Order in Crisis?, March 13, 2018.
- Why #metoo Could be Good for Men, Too, January 9, 2018.
- Will Trump’s Actions Hasten International Balancing Against the US or Global Irrelevance? August 8, 2017.
- Do Realists Need to Check Their Idealism?, May 16, 2017.
- Where is the Global Left Wing?, February 28, 2017.
- Private Security for the President: What Could Go Wrong, December 27, 2016.
- Using IR Theory for Policy Prediction, August 23, 2016.
- Stop Calling Trump a Fascist, June 7, 2016.
- Understanding Military (Non)Support in the Wake of Constitutional Coups, February 26, 2016.
- Remember Daesh is a Network, November 20, 2015.
- Relevant for Whom? The Multiplicity of Policy Audiences, November 3, 2015.
- Potential for the Micro Dynamics of Peace, June 30, 2015.
- Gap Half Full? A Dialogue on Bridging the Academic-Policy Divide, April 28, 2015.
- Denver Dialogues: Encouraging Conversation Among Academics and Policymakers, March 3, 2015.
- What To Do About ISIS?: For Starters, Think Political as Well as Military Strategy, September 12, 2014.